Wednesday, May 26, 2010

John Adams is a Kick

Well, I lied. Those two books I said were my next books are not. Instead, I saw David McCullough's John Adams on the shelf and couldn't resist buying it. After all, I've seen the movie, so I should read the book. And, I can already tell that it's going to be a good book and I can't help quoting from it. Page 54:

"In November 1762 [John Adam's] friend Richard Cranch and Mary Smith were married, a high occasion for Adams that he hugely enjoyed, including the customary round of 'matrimonial stories' shared among the men 'to raise the spirits,' one of which he happily included in his journal:


     The story of B. Bicknal's wife is a very clever one. She said, when she was married she was very anxious, she feared, she trembled, she could not go to bed. But she recollected she had put her hand to the plow and could not look back, so she mustered up her spirits, committed her soul to God and her body to B. Bicknal and into bed she leaped - and in the morning she was amazed, she could not think for her life what it was that had scared her."


Chuckle...

Dave

No comments: